Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

The case against baby proofing

I don't baby proof, never have. The extent of my baby proofing is rubber banding the handles of the cabinet doors that face each other, together. Oh and closing the bathroom and bedroom doors. Of course that only works until the baby is tall enough to reach the handle and open the door. I didn't baby proof with Penni because we lived with my parents and I didn't want to mess with their house not knowing how long we'll stay. When we moved into our own place we tried to set it up to be kid friendly. We don't have nick nacks on low shelves, and no low sitting entertainment center. The kitchen is kind of the main battle ground and I generally try to get the kids out of there so they don't get too comfortable I suppose. When babies get mobile it's a lot of work to keep them out of where they are not suppose to be, but I think in the long run it's more beneficial. Yes it would be easy to lock up all cabinet doors and let the kids have free run of the house, but I think it instills a sense of false security. I'd rather teach my kids early on that the kitchen is not a play space, so that when I happen to be at someone else's house I don't have to spend the entire time pulling my kids out of the kitchen cabinets because they discovered unlocked doors. My kids will be used to staying out of the kitchen, and they might need a gentle reminder and redirection at first but I think it sets in rather quickly that that's just not a safe play space. This applies to other things and areas of the house as well, kitchen just stands out in my mind at the moment. I'm all about natural consequences, I think that's the best way to teach a child a lesson, whatever that may be.  Anyways I'm not saying baby proofing is wrong or anything, I get why people do it, it's just not for us. Just my humble take and opinion on the matter.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand. I hope eventually the message will sink in for Suzie that the kitchen is a bad place. She giggles when I say no, and I think the way our place it set up, she can't see me at all when I'm in the kitchen, so she's always looking for me. So I rarely get dinner on the table before seven anymore.

    ReplyDelete