Pages

Monday, February 9, 2015

Orange Cranberry Coconut Vegan Scones

I love scones! Normally I make them with butter though, and cream/yogurt/kefir but one day I was out of butter, but scones HAD to be made. Seriously, they had to be haha. Anyways so these happened, and it's been a hit! Note to self, I have seriously got to take better pictures.

You'll need:
2 Cups flour (I use organic white unbleached)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil in solid form
zest of 1 good size orange, or 2 small ones.
The juice of those oranges, you will need 1/2 cup liquid, if I don't have enough orange juice add coconut rum to make it to 1/2 cup.
1/2 Cup cranberries (more or less to your preference, I never measure them just use a generous handful or so).

Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.

First mix all the dry ingredients, then zest the orange/s and mix it in.

Cut in the 1/2 cup of solid coconut oil, just like you would butter in a non-vegan recipe. 

Next stir in the cranberries, I like to separate mine out since they stick so badly, you can also just give them a rough chop. Then pour in the orange juice (with the coconut rum if you added it) and stir it together till well incorporated. Then I like to dump it onto a clean counter and lightly knead/fold/ push the dough together until it stays together, shape into a disc, no more than an inch thick. Slice that disc into 8 wedges. If you want small scones then separate the dough into 2 parts, shape into 2 discs and slice each one into 6 scones. I remembered the picture after I started transferring it to the cookie sheet, oops!


Bake for 20 minutes, check on them after 15 minutes if your oven is an overachiever. When they start to get nice golden brownish they are done! Wait for them to cool, a bit, or not, whatever works. And voila! Bon appetit :)

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! I picked up two giant tubs of coconut oil to add to my other giant tub. Such a miracle product. It goes on my body, in my belly, and on Little Pooper's bottom. I love all in one products!

    ReplyDelete