Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

A lesson in humility

A few days ago Penni lost her second tooth few days ago and we asked what she wanted to do trade it in for (we don't do tooth fairy) she wanted ice cream. So we planned a trip for the weekend, decided on Pink Berry. Somehow she heard some talk about hot chocolate the day before our scheduled trip and kept talking about hot chocolate and ice cream. Granted it was a rather warm day we went out for ice cream, she enjoyed it and as soon as it was gone started talking about hot chocolate again. I told her next tooth she can trade in for hot chocolate. Fast forward to Monday morning, we woke up early so had some extra time for breakfast, Cora ended up going back to sleep right before breakfast. So out of the goodness of my heart I decided to make my kid a hot chocolate, it was a chilly morning, she's been talking about it for several days, why not. So I heat the milk, prep the mugs, milk is hot and foamy so I pour it in. Turn to get something by the sink and knock over my mug, thick rich hot chocolate is now everywhere. Counter, running down the cabinets, floor. Sigh, I wanted to cry. It was only my mug I spilled, Penni's was safe, she quickly got her mug out of my way (can you blame her? haha). I put more milk in the pot to boil to make myself another cup, meanwhile I proceed to clean the spilled goodness. While cleaning I didn't realized the milk was foaming so it ran over, cue sizzling milk on the burner, the smell of burnt milk. Now I really want to cry. WTF is going on!? sigh again. I finish cleaning the counter, decide I'll deal with the burner clean up later, fix myself a new cup of hot chocolate and go to join Penni. Sit down at the table, move my bowl of cereal closer to me… and guess what! I spill the damn cereal! Seriously, what is going on here!? At this point I may have shed a few tears. So while cleaning the third mess I made in less than 5 minutes I'm feeling rather ridiculous and guilty. How many times did I get upset and probably over react because Penni spilled milk/water/juice/lunch whatever else. I mean I know kids spill and drop stuff and that's normal. but at some point sometimes it gets frustrating, and I react. Sigh, I'm sorry Penni. Definitely will try to keep my reactions in check, and just help her clean her mess that she probably already feels bad about. Mommies make messes too, sometimes a lot of them. The only difference is that no one will scold me for it.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Hang in there! I just finished cleaning the oven from my husband attempting to make a pizza and somehow it flipped upside down on him. He was bummed, but I just reminded him of all the mishaps that I've been responsible for.

    ReplyDelete