Pages

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Birth memory boxes for the girls

I saw this idea on some blog when Penni was a baby so I made her a box. Being a NICU baby she had a lot of "souvenirs" and I wasn't sure what to do with them, didn't exactly want to toss them since it is part of her story.  Anyways this seemed like a neat idea so I made one for Penni
Her birth story is 

Naturally I had to make one for Cora too, except being a home birth we didn't have many souvenirs. Just amazing memories and some great pictures. I thought for quite a long time what I can put in her box so that it can have souvenirs like Penni's did. She didn't even wear a hat for 3 weeks so I didn't even have that to add, I considered a side snapping shirt that she lived in for the first week till the stump fell off, but the shirt was too big to fit in the box, it's only 9"x9". In the end I decided to keep Cora's box simple, just like her birth was, and yes that is her umbilical cord dehydrated, you can sort of see the true knot in it.

Here are both girls' boxes side by side, I like seeing the difference in what you end up with as souvenirs after a hospital birth vs. a home birth.

2 comments:

  1. Such different stories but they're both such sweethearts. Reminds me that I've got to do something for my little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! do it! These frames are from ikea but I have since seen bigger and "cooler" ones at Marshalls if I didn't already have one made for Penni in this frame I would have gotten the ones from Marshall's. I plan to do the bigger ones (the front of them opens like a door, so you don't have to disassemble it from the back like a regular picture frame) for their baby memorabilia, like the first year.

    ReplyDelete